Before we dive into the role, let’s talk about flexibility. Our Zipsters can choose where and when they work by taking full advantage of our hybrid-work environment. So whether you’re mostly remote, mostly in the office or a mix of the two, you’ll be empowered to do whatever brings out your best.
We are Zip, a global Buy Now, Pay Later company providing fair and seamless solutions that simplify how millions of people pay. Our journey began in Australia, has taken us to multiple different markets and we’re just getting started.
We exist to create a world where people can live fearlessly today, knowing they’re in control of tomorrow. Focused on product innovation that puts people at the centre, we put the financial well-being of our customers and merchant partners at the heart of everything that we do.
As a Software Engineer in our Payments team, you will work on the back-end microservices that underpin the payments experiences used by Zip’s millions of customers in Australia.
The team is responsible for critical features such as how we provision virtual cards, how we pay our merchants, and how we collect money from our customers. You will be using a modern, best-in-class tech stack which is at the core of the experience that consumers have when using Zip’s app to pay.
In your role you’ll have broad responsibilities and will see the impact of your work quickly. At Zip, we ship quality work at pace, meaning our engineers feel rewarded for the value they’re adding to our customers' lives much more quickly than in larger corporates.
You will collaborate with your engineering squad, product manager and product designer to discover, validate and solve interesting and often complex technical problems, and you’ll own requirements definition, quality and continuous delivery for the code you write. This is the type of environment where, if you see a problem, you get to fix it!
Our payments stack uses both Java and Kotlin, and we are very happy to teach you Kotlin on the job if required. You’ll have a friendly, supportive and super-capable team on hand who want to share their knowledge with you every step of the way.
To succeed in the role you’ll need to bring:
- Good knowledge of Java and Spring Boot, and practical experience implementing into a production environment
- Some experience working with, or evidence of your desire to learn Kotlin
- Basic understanding of microservices architecture and distributed systems
- Knowledge and practical experience working with SQL and relational databases - we use MS SQL Server
- Experience with git - we use Gitlab, but you may know Github or Bitbucket
- Desire to product quality code and create unit tests
Any of the following is a bonus, or will be learned in the role:
- Good knowledge of Kotlin
- Experience working with a commercial cloud platform - we use AWS
- Experience creating or supporting microservices containerised in Docker, orchestrated in Kubernetes
This role can be remote anywhere in Australia, or join our hybrid model in our Sydney or Melbourne office.
We’re proud to be a values-led business. They guide us in everything we do - how we work together and create game-changing experiences for our customers and fellow Zipsters.
If you only meet some of the requirements for this role, that's okay. We value a diverse range of backgrounds and ideas and believe this is fundamental for our future success. So, if you have the curiosity to learn and the willingness to teach what you know, we'd love to hear from you.
We pride ourselves on creating an inclusive workplace that provides equal opportunities to all persons regardless of their age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, or anything else.
What’s in it for you?
As a Zipster, you’ll enjoy heaps of unique perks and benefits to support you at work and beyond. Here’s just a taste of what you can expect when you join the #Zipfam!
- Flexible working culture, giving you the choice on how and where you work
- Funding and up to 2 days leave for your professional development
- 25 days paid leave annually, including birthday leave and quarterly wellbeing days
- 16 weeks paid parental leave for primary carers, and 4 weeks for supporting carers
- Family support policies including miscarriage bereavement leave and domestic violence leave
- Mental health and wellbeing initiatives, including $299 annual wellbeing allowance, free fitness classes, and discounted gym membership
- 2 days paid volunteering leave per year
- Fee-free Zip products, and discounts with Zip merchant partners (AU)
- Share incentive programs, to give you skin in the game
- Team social events, epic offices, free breakfast daily, and weekly free lunches (Sydney)
We want to make sure our recruitment processes are accessible and inclusive for all people. If there's any adjustments that need to be made to ensure you have a fair and equal experience in our recruitment process please let your Talent Acquisition Partner know. We are also a proud 2023 Circle Back initiative employer and commit to respond to every applicant.
Join us on our mission to be the first payment choice, everywhere and every day.