General Counsel - ANZ
General Counsel - ANZ
- Proven technical legal expertise and leader of teams across credit, product, commercial, licencing and regulatory affairs
- Experience in-house (fintech, financial services or major bank) and private practice highly desirable, with the ability to influence at executive and senior management level
- Sydney-based candidate highly desirable to adopt hybrid way of working
Your next chapter starts here
We have an exciting and rare opportunity for an experienced leader and senior lawyer to manage and run Zip’s Australia & New Zealand (ANZ) Legal, Regulatory Affairs, Compliance & Risk function. This role will report directly to the Global General Counsel but work closely with the ANZ CEO and leadership team, and will lead an experienced team of legal, compliance and risk experts.
In this role you will work across all business units – ensuring the function is providing strategic and operational legal, compliance and risk support. You will have a strong legal and compliance financial services experience (with specific credit and financial services, AML/CTF, and privacy exposure), and have worked across commercial and corporate governance areas.
Help us change the game
- Day to day management of the internal Legal, Reg Affairs, Compliance & Risk function – ensuring the team is supported and aligned on delivering strategic advice and guidance to support ANZ business operations. This includes regulatory, product (credit and financial services), commercial, licensing, regulatory affairs and reporting (including breach), and regulatory engagement and strategy.
- Management of internal reporting requirements, including to the Board Audit & Risk Committee and representing the function across a range of forums, including ANZ Leadership, Product & Pricing Forum & ANZ External Affairs.
- Manage, mentor, and lead an experienced legal team who manage the following portfolios across the business:
- regulatory, including credit & financial services (including ACL & AFSL requirements), AML/CTF, privacy, DDO, marketing compliance, credit and FS breach reporting obligations.
- regulatory engagement and notices management (ASIC, OAIC, AUSTRAC, Courts, Services Australia etc)
- product development and lifecycle across Zip’s product suite in ANZ
- litigation & dispute management
- employment law
- regulatory affairs and engagement
- Manage and lead an experienced team of compliance experts to drive the continued growth of Zip’s compliance management frameworks across all regulatory areas, including:
- Compliance policies (design, implementation, uplift and/or and roll out across all lines, such as privacy, ACL & AFSL, DDO, incident management and breach reporting)
- as Privacy Officer, oversee the day to day growth and management of the Privacy compliance program, including privacy data breach management
- Company wide and bespoke training (credit, privacy, DDO, IDR & EDR, marketing)
- Ongoing review and gap analysis across ANZ to identify opportunities for uplift and development
- Oversee and partner closely with the risk team to continue to uplift the enterprise risk management framework across ANZ
- Corporate Governance: supporting Legal team, Co Sec and Global GC in oversight of corporate governance policies (including, Whistleblower, Anti-Bribery and Corruption, supplier code of conduct, and Modern Slavery Statement and processes)
- Oversight of External Dispute Resolution process (i.e. external complaints lodged with the Australian Financial Complaints) and oversight of AFCA engagement
- Provide SME on large strategic projects, utilising internal resourcing and external support.
- Manage and/or oversee external law firms in the provision of requested legal and regulatory advice in a cost efficient manner.
- Supporting and leading engagement with regulators across a range of issues.
- Current awareness of recent and impending industry and regulatory changes affecting Zip’s operations.
- Provide and oversee in the provision of practical, risk-appropriate legal and regulatory driven advice across all of Zip’s current and future products and features, to support Zip’s continuing growth and innovation.
What you’ll bring to the team
- A minimum of 15 years’ PQE and admission to practice in Australian jurisdiction.
- Excellent legal technical skills across applicable regulatory landscape, including strong experience in credit, payments, financial services, banking or fintech is strongly desirable.
- Able to demonstrate a strong sense of urgency and work in a demanding culture and fast-paced industry.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to get across legal issues and new regulatory landscapes quickly.
- Raise potential risks and concerns regarding the decisions of others appropriately, in good time, and in a way that generates alignment to enable successful launch of products/solutions.
- You have a can do attitude and bring solutions to the table – You own it and Do it.
What you’ll get in return
Zip is a place where you’ll get out what you put in. The newness of our sector means we need to move at pace and embrace change, and our promise to you when you join the team is that you’ll feel empowered and trusted to make things happen quickly.
We want you to feel welcome and to know you have the support to be yourself, and care for yourself at work. Because it’s important to us that you make the most of the opportunities you’ll get to grow your skills and your career, surrounded by smart, friendly people and leaders that have your back.
We think these are just some of the best things about being a Zipster. We will also offer you:
- 25 days paid leave annually, including birthday leave and quarterly wellbeing days
- 16 weeks paid parental leave for primary carers, and 4 weeks for supporting carers
- Family support policies including miscarriage bereavement leave and domestic violence leave
- Mental health and wellbeing initiatives, including $299 annual wellbeing allowance, free fitness classes, and discounted gym membership
- 2 days paid volunteering leave per year
- Fee-free Zip products, and discounts with Zip merchant partners (AU)
- Team social events, epic offices, free breakfast daily, and weekly free lunches
Be a part of a team that reflects the diversity of our customers
We pride ourselves on being a workplace that provides equal opportunities to people of all ages, cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities, abilities, veteran status, and everything else that makes you unique.
Equally, we’re committed to ensuring our recruitment processes are accessible and inclusive. Please let us know If there are any adjustments that need to be made to ensure you have a fair and equitable experience.
And finally…get to know us
Zip is a global ‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ company that gives our millions of customers simpler and fairer ways to pay. We are proud to be a global business built around our US and ANZ core markets working with merchant partners including Amazon, Best Buy, eBay and Uber. United by our mission, purpose and values - Customer First, Own It, Stronger Together & Change The Game - we are the next generation of payments, helping people across the globe to fearlessly take control of their financial future.
We are Zip, and we are just getting started.
We are a proud 2023 Circle Back initiative employer and will respond to every applicant.
While we value our partnership with recruitment agencies our internal TA team is leading this recruitment. As such we won't be able to accept any unsolicited cvs and will not be responsible for any associated agency fees.
I acknowledge by clicking "Submit Application", that the information provided is true and correct. I also understand that any willful dishonesty may render for refusal of this application or immediate termination of employment.By providing your information, you acknowledge that you have read our Zip Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice and authorize Zip to process your data subject to those terms.
- Legal, Risk & Compliance