Senior Data Engineer II
Senior Data Engineer II
- Senior Data Engineer with 7+ years of experience designing and implementing data systems within a SQL/Azure cloud environment
- Passionate Data Engineering Leader who is comfortable tackling big-picture initiatives while expertly charting a path forward where there’s ambiguity
- Remote-first opportunity for US-based employees with the option to work in-person out of our Manhattan office
Start your adventure with Zip
A role in Zip Data’s multi-faceted team will give you the opportunity to ideate, create and manage data strategies and architectures that power data-driven decision making for Zipsters at all levels and in all teams across our organisation.
With a broad remit across a range of big-data and distributed computing technologies, our Data Engineering team create solutions that enable key processes for our Risk, Analytics, Product, Finance, and Operations functions. If you thrive on business critical work that’s highly visible and valued by your co-workers, this is the team for you.
Interesting problems you’ll get to solve
- Architect and build a modern data stack to scale to Zip’s growing demands with an eye on reliability and efficiency. We are building this from the ground up using technologies like Spark, Scala, Snowflake, and Airflow
- Deliver data solutions for high-visibility product initiatives across all Zip’s offerings, including fraud/risk, marketing, compliance, finance, and other internal teams like Analytics and Data Science
- Develop and maintain data models (Data Vault 2.0) to support analytical and operational reporting needs
- Enable self-service data exploration through automation, data governance, and technical implementation
- Work with technical leaders and engineers across Zip to create and drive toward the longer term data strategy. You will help to shape the future of Zip’s data platform capabilities
- Identify new data opportunities by understanding data needs across the company that support Zip’s mission to be the first payment choice, everywhere and every day!
- Research, evaluate, and recommend best in class technology solutions based on a “right tool for the job” approach
- Articulate benefits and risks of options, solutions, and overall capabilities of the data platform solutions
- Mentor and provide guidance for more junior engineers
- Promote and enforce best practices in data engineering
What you’ll bring to the team
- A strong history of success in all things data engineering, including the ability to design and implement both batch and streaming data systems in a cloud-native environment
- Confidence and ability to tackle complex problems in a face-paced environment with ambiguity and challenging timelines
- You understand the value of, and can deliver well written, performant code and can adapt to a changing landscape of technologies to support our evolving data platform
- You have deep mastery of analytical data warehouses like Snowflake and Redshift.
- A mastery level set of SQL skills and the ability to build efficient data structures across multiple technologies
- Experience optimizing big data technologies like Spark to support massive data scale
- Demonstrated experience implementing enterprise data platforms in a cloud environment (we’re an Azure shop, but AWS and GCP are acceptable as well)
- An understanding of the value of documented systems and experience writing automated tests to ensure the stability and quality of our data platform
- The ability to help make sense of all the above for junior engineers
- Strong collaboration skills with Data Analysts and Scientists to solve complex data-related issues.
- The capacity to serve as an advocate for all things data
What you’ll get in return
Zip is a place where you’ll get out what you put in. The newness of our sector means we need to move at pace and embrace change, and our promise to you when you join the team is that you’ll feel empowered and trusted to make big things happen quickly.
We want you to feel welcome and as though you have the support to be yourself, and care for yourself at work. Because it’s important to us that you make the most of the opportunities you’ll get to grow your skills and your career, and be surrounded by smart, friendly people and leaders that have your back.
We think these are just some of the best things about being a Zipster. We will also offer you:
- Flexible working culture
- Incentive programs
- 20 days PTO every year
- Generous paid parental leave
- Leading family support policies
- 100% employer covered insurance
- Beautiful Midtown office with a casual dress code
- Learning and wellness subscription stipend
- Company-sponsored 401k match
The Pay Range for this position: $161,400 - $222,732 USD based on the industry benchmark for position, function, level and Zip's compensation strategies. However, actual base salary will depend on varying circumstances and individualized factors, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations.
Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits.
Be a part of a team that reflects the diversity of our customers
We pride ourselves on being a workplace that provides equal opportunities to people of all ages, cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities, abilities, veteran status, and everything else that makes you unique.
Equally, we’re committed to ensuring our recruitment processes are accessible and inclusive. Please let us know If there are any adjustments that need to be made to ensure you have a fair and equitable experience.
And finally…get to know us
Zip is a global ‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ company that gives our millions of customers simpler and fairer ways to pay.
We are proud to be a global business built around our US and ANZ core markets working with merchant partners including Amazon, Best Buy, eBay and Uber. United by our mission, purpose and values - Customer First, Own It, Stronger Together & Change The Game - we are the next generation of payments, helping people across the globe to fearlessly take control of their financial future.
We are Zip, and we are just getting started.
I acknowledge by clicking "Submit Application", that the information provided is true and correct. I also understand that any willful dishonesty may render for refusal of this application or immediate termination of employment. By providing your information, you acknowledge that you have read our Zip Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice and authorize Zip to process your data subject to those terms
We are a proud 2023 Circle Back initiative employer and will respond to every applicant.
- United States
- Data & Analytics