Before we dive into the role, let’s talk about flexibility. At Zip, our office is in New York City but we can hire from anywhere across the United States. Our Zipsters can choose where and when they work by taking full advantage of our hybrid-work environment.
So whether you’re fully remote, mostly in the office or a mix of the two, you’ll be empowered to do whatever brings out your best.
We are Zip, a global Buy Now, Pay Later company providing fair and seamless solutions that simplify how millions of people pay. Our journey began in Australia, has taken us to 14 countries (so far) - and we’re just getting started.
We exist to create a world where people can live fearlessly today, knowing they’re in control of tomorrow. Focused on product innovation that puts people at the centre, we put the financial well-being of our customers and merchant partners at the heart of everything that we do.
Zip Data is at an interesting crossroads as we build a newer, more modern version of our data platform to enable self-service across Data Analytics and Sciences. This means you'll have ample opportunity to build things from the ground up.
As of October 2022, we're on the tail end of a database platform migration to Snowflake. Our future-state approach will be a hybrid of build versus buy based on the use case – and your expertise and input will be vital to our success. Much of what we'll likely build will be based on a distributed architecture using a software engineering approach (writing Java, Scala, Python) versus using GUI driving development tools.
You're a Culture Add 🫂
- You believe and want to participate in a blameless culture which focuses on process and technology
- You don’t sleep well at night when you leave work with a question unanswered
- You feel accountable for everything you do and that sense of urgency has been driving you your entire life
- You like to have a good time while getting things done
- When we say a “team player”, we mean it
- You have your team’s back – and the team has yours
- An interesting life story/a cool hobby/a diverse background has proven to bring more to the table in terms of perspective, what's yours?
You Dream in Code 💻
- SQL – Teach us something new, show us what you’ve got
- Python/Scala/C# – You’ve coded before, and know the importance of efficient, clean code
You Thrive in any Data Environment 📁
- Database concepts – Indexes, execution engines, etc.
- Database Administration experience (Azure DWH, SQL Server, PostgreSQL)
- You understand that databases are an integral part of being a Data Engineer
- You get the Cloud – we use Azure
- You understands complex data and the challenges of accessing it
- Traditional/relational databases, data lakes, or Pub/Subs make no difference to you
- You're a bottom-line person, not someone who throws terms like “big data” around because they're popular
You Solving Big Picture Problems 🖼️
- You like to ask questions and devise a complete solution
- You want to understand the data (not just the pipes); you can perform some analytics and build dashboards because you like it
- Finance industry and/or Credit/Risk experience is helpful for our domain's big picture
You Enjoy Learning New Things 📖
- You know that you don’t know enough, and it bothers you that there isn’t enough time to always learn about the next topic
- You’re up-to-date on new trends in data and you're excited for the next release of your favorite tool
We’re proud to be a values-led business. They guide us in everything we do - how we work together and create game-changing experiences for our customers and fellow Zipsters.
If you only meet some of the requirements for this role, that's okay. We value a diverse range of backgrounds and ideas and believe this is fundamental for our future success. So, if you have the curiosity to learn and the willingness to teach what you know, we'd love to hear from you.
We pride ourselves on creating an inclusive workplace that provides equal opportunities to all persons regardless of their age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, or anything else.
What’s in it for you?
We offer a variety of perks and benefits to support you at both work and home. Here’s a taste of what you can expect!
● Flexible working culture
● Share incentive programs
● 20 days PTO every year
● Generous paid parental leave
● Leading family support policies
● 100% employer covered insurance
● Beautiful Midtown office with a casual dress code
● Learning and wellness subscription stipend
● Company-sponsored 401k match
● Remote First Friendly!
We want to make sure our recruitment processes are accessible and inclusive for all people. If there's any adjustments that need to be made to ensure you have a fair and equal experience in our recruitment process please let your Talent Acquisition Partner know. We are also a proud 2022 Circle Back initiative employer and commit to respond to every applicant.
Join us on our mission to be the first payment choice, everywhere and every day.