ANZ Candidate Privacy Statement
This ANZ Candidate Privacy Statement (Statement) applies to Zip Co Limited (ACN 139 546 428) and subsidiary companies including ZipMoney Payments Pty Ltd (ACN 164 440 993), Zip Business Australia Pty Ltd (ACN 602 957 237), Zip Co NZ Limited (Company Number 6162932) and related companies located in Australia and New Zealand (collectively “Zip, we, us, our”).
By accepting this Privacy Statement, you provide consent for Zip to collect and use your personal information in accordance with this Statement
In this Statement, “personal information” includes any information which identifies you or from which your identity is reasonably apparent.
2. Your privacy is important to us
This Statement explains how Zip handles the personal information that we hold, use, collect, handle, share, retain and store for the purpose of processing a candidate’s job applications and recruitment process.
The Statement applies to all applications for positions including permanent, fixed term, casuals, contractors and interns. It also provides details about your privacy rights as an applicant for a role with us. Should you be successful, we will make available our information handling practices for all employees when you join Zip, including your responsibilities regarding privacy and data security with access to all relevant policies, procedures and guidelines that you are expected to follow.
Sometimes we update our Candidate Privacy Statement. You can always find the most up-to- date version on our websites.
3. What personal information do we collect?
For application, recruitment and selection purposes
We may collect, use and disclose different types of personal information about you, when you start a job application with Zip and the types of personal information collected may change during the recruitment process.
The types of information we collect about you during the application, recruitment and selection process may include:
- Contact details: such as your name, address, mobile and or other phone numbers and email address;
- Employment details and qualifications: such as information about your employment history, your curriculum vitae (CV) or cover letter, your qualifications such as university education, professional certification and licencing, portfolios (where relevant) and professional memberships (for certain positions);
- Indicative salary expectations and previous salary package information
- Identity information: such as your ID, passport information, birth certificates, driver license details, date of birth, pronouns and gender;
- Interview details: such as information you provide during interviews or assessments, whether face-to-face, by phone, email, online or otherwise;
- References: We may use a third party provider to conduct reference checks. You must obtain consent from any of your elected referees to provide their name and contact details to any named third party provider. Our third party providers may email or telephone your elected referee to ask about your skills, experience, qualifications and any other information that is relevant to the position working at Zip. This third party provider will then provide this information to our Talent Acquisition team.
We may ask you for special categories of sensitive information, such as:
- Diversity and inclusion information: such as gender identity, sexual orientation, pronouns, cultural or ethnic origin, ancestry, caring responsibilities, and disability information (all optional) to monitor our compliance with equal opportunities legislation and track progress towards our diversity, equity and inclusion goals. This will not be used to determine your suitability for your application to join Zip - at Zip we consciously build for inclusion and balance so we can bring out the best in everyone - because we know diverse teams lead to better outcomes for all.
- Information about criminal convictions: where this is necessary for purposes of due diligence or compliance with our regulatory obligations.
- Health information: such as any physical or mental condition that you choose to provide to us so that we can confirm your ability to perform a role and ensure that we make reasonable adjustments for any interviews and assessments where required. Should you be successful, we may also collect information about your Covid-19 vaccination status, results of Covid-19 tests, your location and or travel arrangements etc to comply with Federal and State Health Orders and Directives.
For employment purposes
Should you be successful in your application and formally accept a position with us, we may collect other information from you as is relevant, including:
- Financial information: such as bank account details, Tax File Numbers, Superannuation Fund details;
- Background check information: such as criminal history details, a pre-employment medical declaration, employment verification, APRA and ASIC regulatory checks, politically exposed persons (PEP’s) or sanctions checks, fraud and bankruptcy checks (where relevant to your role), your working rights and information about your work eligibility, and professional references.
Note: Not all personal information types will be requested from every candidate - this may vary depending on the stage of the recruitment process and the information that is relevant for us to consider you for a position with us.
How do we collect personal information?
We may correct and retain your personal information in a number of ways, including;
- from you directly (the information you provide throughout the application process verbally or in writing);
- From third party service providers, including recruitment agencies, digital reference check providers, screening and verification service providers (i.e. for background check information) or specialist technical assessment solution providers where relevant to your role;
- government agencies;
- from social media websites (such as Linkedin) where you have publicly shared professional information which may be accessed by prospective employers.
4. How do we use your personal information?
Zip is committed to protecting your privacy and we recognise the importance of safeguarding your personal information. We collect, handle and use personal information so we can:
- process and manage your application for employment with Zip;
- Determine your eligibility for employment with Zip;
- Communicate with you;
- Enter a contract with you;
- Manage our relationship with you;
- Consider you for future applications (unless you request we do not consider you for future applications);
- Protect our legal rights and to resolve disputes or complaints;
- Comply with our legal obligations;Manage our risks such as business continuity and security;
- Use your personal information for analysing purposes (for example to monitor and report on diversity and equal opportunities or to analyse source of applications)
5. Who do we share your personal information with?
We will share your personal information internally within Zip to progress your job application and the recruitment process. Your personal information will only be shared with those people in Zip, on a need to know basis, in order to do their job.
We may also share your personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- Background-checking organisations that verify employment history, and academic and professional achievements;
- Third-party service providers that support the Zip recruitment process and organisations that assist us in collating and managing information about our employees;
- Assessment platforms to test special skills;
- Recruitment agencies, and
- Law enforcement agencies, regulators, court or tribunal, or to exercise, establish or defend legal claims (where their request is lawful).
If we require third-party organisations to process data on our behalf, we instruct that your personal information is protected to the same standard as if Zip was processing your personal information. Zip does not sell personal information that we collect or handle as part of the recruitment process or any related processes.
6. Sending information overseas
We may send your information overseas, including to:
- Overseas businesses and or subsidiaries of Zip;
- Service providers or third parties who store data or operate outside Australian, or are involved in our recruitment process and/ or are involved in our recruitment process and or;
- Comply with laws, and assist with government or law enforcement agencies.
7. How do we keep your information secure?
Zip uses a range of security measures to ensure your personal information is protected from unauthorised access. We use industry standard levels of security to prevent loss or misuse of your personal information. Personal information is only accessible to relevant Zip personnel, or to authorised service providers and vendors who support or supply their services to us. We use relevant industry standards as guidance, including ISO 27001, SOC2, NIST CSF and NIST SP-800 series documents. Zip personnel are regularly trained on privacy standard in Australia.
8. How long do we keep your personal information for?
Zip retains personal information in accordance with our retention policy and to comply with relevant laws and regulations. The retention period may vary based on whether your application is successful or not, as above in “4. How do we use your personal information”.
In the event you are successful, the personal information we’ve collected will become part of your employee profile, or employee record with Zip. We have obligations relating to the retention of employee records. We will retain your data in accordance with the Australian privacy and employment laws, codes and data. If your application is unsuccessful, we generally will not retain your personal information for more than 3 years from the date that we notified you of our decision unless there is a reason that we may need it (i.e. if it appears you may be considered for a separate relevant role at a future date).
9. How can I access or correct my personal information?
You can request access or correction to your personal information at any time by contacting Zip’s Privacy Officer using the details below. The time we take to respond to your request will depend on the type of access or correction request you make. We usually reply within thirty (30) days of receiving your request. We will notify you if it takes longer and we will seek your written consent to an extension if we are required to do so by law.
We may contact you via phone to confirm your identity and the reason for the request before releasing or correcting any personal information about you. This is to protect your identity and ensure Zip does not disclose any personal information to persons who do not have the right to access or correct that information.
There may be times where we charge a small fee to cover our costs of providing you with access to, or supplying your information. We will inform you of this cost at the time you make a request. We will not charge you a fee for requesting that your personal information be corrected.
Zip may not always be required to provide access to, or correct, your personal information or credit-related information due to certain exceptions in the Privacy Act. This includes where:
- It is unlawful to give you access;
- Giving access would pose a serious threat to any person’s life, health or safety, or to public health or safety;
- The information relates to existing or anticipated court or legal proceedings;
- Giving access would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy’
- Giving access would reveal evaluative information in connection with ac commercially sensitive decision-making process by Zip; or
- Your request is vexatious.
We will write to you and explain why we cannot provide access or correct your information. In some cases, where we refuse to correct your information, you can ask us to include a statement attached to your personal information that says you believe it is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of date.
10. How to contact us
If you have a query or complaint about the way we have handled your personal information, or you would like to exercise your rights to correction or access of your personal information, please let us know.
You can contact our Privacy Officer at:
11. What if you do not want to provide us with your personal information?
If you do not agree to us collecting, using, holding or disclosing your personal information in accordance with this Statement, we may be unable to progress further with your application or offer you employment.