Single-Use Card Terms & Conditions
Access Method means a method made available by us for you, and authorised and accepted by us, to act on an instruction or request to debit or credit your Zip Account.
Activation Period means the period during which a Single-Use Card can be used for a Transaction, being 24 hours from when the Single-Use Card is generated or such longer period as determined by Zip from time to time.
Available Credit means the credit recorded by Zip within your Zip Account which is available for Transactions, less any purchases, authorisations, fees and charges or other amounts debited under the Contract.
Biometric Identifier means a fingerprint, faceprint or any other similar biometric identifier.
Contract means the Contract between you and Zip comprising the Zip Account Terms and Conditions (and any applicable schedule) and these Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions.
Device means a compatible smartphone, wearable device, or any other such device through which you can use the Zip App or Zip Wallet to make Transactions using Single-Use Cards.
Device Passcode means anything used to unlock and access a Device including, but not limited to, a password, numerical code, pattern or Biometric Identifier.
Identifier means information that you know but are not required to keep secret and which you must provide to perform a Transaction (for example, the PAN of a Single-Use Card or a CVC or CVV associated with a Single-Use Card).
PAN means the 16-digit Primary Account Number, which is the number embossed on the front of a Single- Use Card.
Participating Merchants means online retailers and suppliers of goods or services which accept Single-Use Cards as a method of payment for the goods or services but do not accept Transactions made by you on your Zip Account other than by the use of Single-Use Cards.
Pass Code means a password or code (that you must keep secret) that we may require to authenticate your identity or a Transaction.
Single-Use Card means a card with its own PAN which is generated through the Zip App, Zip Wallet or any other means that Zip may make available to be used on a one-off basis for a Transaction on your Zip Account with a Participating Merchant.
Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions means this document.
Transaction means any transaction authorised by you and accepted and authorised by us under the Contract.
Unauthorised Transaction means a transaction not authorised by you but does not include any transaction carried out by you or by anyone performing the transaction with your knowledge and consent.
Visa means Visa Worldwide Pte. Limited.
Visa Rules means all documents, rules and other applicable requirements for participation in the Visa system.
we, us, our and Zip means Zip Money Payments Pty Ltd ABN 58 164 440 993, Australian Credit Licence 441878.
you means a person who has been approved by Zip to open a Zip Account and has been issued with a Single-Use Card. Any other grammatical form of the word “you” has a corresponding meaning.
Zip Account means the account Zip set up to record Transactions under the Zip Account Terms and Conditions.
Zip App means the mobile application we make available to use your Zip Account.
Zip Account Terms and Conditions means the terms and conditions of either the Zip Pay or Zip Money Line of Credit Facility (or any other credit product) issued and administered by Zip and under which the Zip Account is set up.
Zip Wallet means a secure online service where Zip customers may log in to use and access your Zip Account to obtain current or historical Account information, Transaction information, or provide Zip with new personal information, or change banking and repayment details.
Zip Website means www.zip.co or any other website operated by Zip.
Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions
These Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions govern the use, operation and availability of Single-Use Cards. Please read them carefully and keep a copy for your records.
The Single-Use Card provides an additional Access Method to your Zip Account and enables you to make Transactions using your Available Credit at Participating Merchants.
You may also continue to make Transactions using any other Access Method in accordance with the Zip Account Terms and Conditions.
- acknowledge that you have read and accept the offer set out in the Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions;
- consent to providing your signature electronically for the purposes of the Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions; and
- you consent to receiving notices and other documents electronically.
By using a Single-Use Card, you agree to be bound by these Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions.
The Single-Card Terms and Conditions are incorporated into the Zip Account Terms and Conditions (which were provided to you at the point of acceptance of the Zip Account) and it forms a binding Contract between you and Zip.
3. Single-Use Cards
- each Single-Use Card is a Visa card and your Zip Account must have Available Credit before a Single-Use Card can be used and until the amount of the Transaction is debited from your Zip Account;
- there is no stored value on a Single-Use Card. Any Transaction made using a Single-Use Card is debited against the Available Credit of your Zip Account;
- if there is no Available Credit on your Zip Account, a Transaction made with a Single-Use Card will be declined;
- each Single-Use Card allows purchases to be made at Participating Merchants wherever Visa cards are honoured for electronic Transactions if a sufficient Available Credit exists for the amount of the Transaction;
- the Single-Use Cards are not a facility by which Zip takes deposits from you; and
- when you access the Available Credit through use of a Single-Use Card, the fees and charges payable by you are determined under the Zip Account Terms and Conditions and these Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions.
4. Using Single-Use Cards
- each Single-Use Card allows you to purchase goods and services online from Participating Merchants as Zip determines from time to time;
- a Single-Use Card will be generated for each Transaction. Each Single-Use Card can only be used during the Activation Period. If a Single-Use Card Transaction does not occur within the Activation Period, the Transaction may be declined;
- you may only use Single-Use Cards for online Transactions with Participating Merchants;
- the value of purchases made using a Single-Use Card will be debited from the Available Credit in your Zip Account;
- for some Participating Merchants, the value of purchases made using a Single-Use card will be debited from the Available Credit in your Zip Account on its respective date of shipping. You must ensure a sufficient Available Credit exists for the amount of the Transaction until the delivery date for each purchase;
- you agree not to make or attempt to make Transactions that exceed the Available Credit. If there is no Available Credit on your Zip Account, any attempted Transaction with a Single-Use Card will be declined;
- you can use a Single-Use Card within the limits specified in section 6 provided that you do not exceed the Available Credit, the expiry date for the Single-Use Card has not passed, or the Single-Use Card has not been cancelled by Zip;
- Zip may restrict or stop the use of Single-Use Cards to make Transactions if: (a) excessive uses of Single-Use Cards or other suspicious activities are noticed; (b) in accordance with section 11; or (c)if it is otherwise prohibited under the Zip Account Terms and Conditions;
- you cannot “stop payment” on any Transaction after it has been completed. If you have a problem with a Transaction made with a Single-Use Card, or a dispute with a Participating Merchant, you must deal directly with the Participating Merchant involved. If you cannot resolve the dispute with the Participating Merchant, you should contact Zip and we will handle your dispute in accordance with our complaints management processes set out in the Zip Account Terms and Conditions;
- if you are entitled to a refund for any reason relating to a Single-Use Card Transaction, you agree to accept the refund under the policy of that specific Participating Merchant. Refunds will be paid back into your Zip Account.
- we are not liable in any way when an authorisation is declined for any particular Single-Use Card Transaction regardless of reason; and
- if you permit someone else to use a Single-Use Card, you will be responsible for any Transactions initiated by that person with the Single-Use Card.
5. Fees and charges
We do not charge a fee for issuing a Single-Use Card. However, you will continue to be liable for all fees described in the Zip Account Terms and Conditions.
Foreign currency transactions
The Available Credit and payment currency of Single-Use Card Transactions is in Australian dollars. Transactions made in a currency other than Australian dollars will be converted to Australian dollars by Visa using the applicable Visa rate on the date that the Single-Use Card Transaction is debited to your account, plus a 1% foreign currency conversion fee (Fee) on the converted Australian dollar amount that is debited to your Zip Account.
This Fee is determined by Visa in consideration of providing the foreign currency conversion service. You will assume the potential currency risk between the time of purchase until the transaction has been received by Visa. Changes in the exchange rates take effect immediately. You can view online conversion rate calculators set by Visa on Visa’s website.
If you elect to use the Single-Use Card to transact in a currency other than Australian dollars, you:
- acknowledge that the Fee is payable for the foreign currency conversion service;
- authorise us to debit the Fee to your Zip Account; and
- acknowledge that the Fee will appear on your Zip Account statement.
Participating Merchants may charge an additional fee for a Single-Use Card Transaction. This fee is determined and charged by the Participating Merchant and is not retained by us.
6. Limitations of use of Single-Use Cards
Single-Use Cards must not be used for, and the following transactions are prohibited:
- any illegal transactions;
- wire transfers;
- betting/casino gambling;
- payment for ongoing services or recurring payments such as subscription services (i.e. streaming subscriptions or gym memberships); and
- any other transactions declined by Zip in accordance with the Zip Account Terms and Conditions.
The following limitations apply to each Single-Use Card:
- some retailers may choose not to accept Visa cards and will therefore not accept a Single-Use Card as payment for goods or services; and
- each Single-Use Card will lapse if not used during its Activation Period.
The following table sets out the Maximum Transaction amount applicable to each Single-Use Card. Participating Merchants or other providers of facilities may impose additional transaction limits.
|Maximum Transaction amount||AUD$1,500 (unless otherwise authorised by Zip and communicated to you and subject to your Available Credit)|
You must make sure that you keep each Single-Use Card, Identifiers and any Pass Code safe and secure. The precautions we require you to take are set out below.
- when using a Single-Use Card:
- always lock your Device;
- assign a Device Passcode to unlock your Device and, separately, the Zip Wallet;
- remove any other registered Biometric Identifier which is not your own from your Device;
- ensure that any security details to access your Device or authorise a payment with your Device is not easily guessed;
- immediately report the loss, theft or unauthorised use of your Device, or unauthorised use of a Single-Use Card, to Zip;
- examine your Zip Account to identify and report, as soon as possible, any instances of unauthorised use; and
- keep information about each Single-Use Card (including any Identifier, Pass Code, PAN and CVC) private and never store or communicate the information to anyone (excluding Participating Merchants to whom you may be required to disclose this information when you use a Single-Use Card).
You must not:
- allow anyone else to use a Single-Use Card;
- unnecessarily disclose a PAN to anyone;
- lend your Device to anyone or share your Device Passcode with anyone;
- leave your Device unattended e.g. your phone unlocked at work; or
- store anyone else’s Biometric Identifier within your Device.
If you do, any Transactions initiated by a person with access to the Single-Use Card or your Device will be authorised by you and section 9 (Liability for Unauthorised Transactions) will not apply.
8. Loss, theft and misuse of devices
If you know or suspect that your Device is lost, stolen or damaged, or is likely to be misused, that there has been unauthorised use of a Single-Use Card, or that someone else may know the Identifiers, you must immediately notify Zip. We may then cancel the Single-Use Card to restrict its use.
You may be required to confirm details of the loss, theft or misuse in writing (and to provide particular information in the confirmation) and you must comply with that requirement.
9. Liability for unauthorised transactions
You are liable to us in respect of an Unauthorised Transaction when:
- you have failed to advise us of any suspected or unauthorised use of a Single-Use Card; or
- you have provided information regarding your Single-Use Card to someone whether knowingly or not; or
- you have committed fraud.
You are not liable to us in respect of an Unauthorised Transaction when:
- The Unauthorised Transaction occurred after you had advised us of suspected unauthorised use of a Single-Use Card; or
- It is clear that you have not contributed to the loss; or
- It is determined by us, acting reasonably, that you were not directly or indirectly responsible for the relevant Unauthorised Transaction
- It was caused by the fraudulent or negligent conduct of employees or agents of:
- any organisation involved in the provision of the electronic funds transfer system; or
- any Participating Merchant.
If you are concerned about any suspect activity on your Account, please contact our customer service team immediately.
If you report an Unauthorised Transaction, we will not hold you liable for losses arising from the Unauthorised Transaction for an amount greater than your liability if we exercised any rights under the rules of the Visa Scheme, at the time of the report, against other parties to the Visa Scheme (for example, chargeback rights).
Important Information about Chargebacks
In some circumstances, you may be able to request a chargeback of a Transaction when you have a dispute with a Participating Merchant, such as the Participating Merchant’s failure to supply the goods or services you paid for.
A chargeback is a right under the Visa Rules by which a Transaction can effectively be reversed by us debiting an amount to the Participating Merchant’s financial institution and crediting back to your Available Credit in your Zip Account. We can only process chargebacks if the Visa Rules allow us to.
If you believe that you are entitled to a chargeback, you must notify us as soon as possible by contacting Zip.
The Visa Rules impose time limits for initiating chargebacks. The time limit is generally 120 days from the date of the disputed Transaction.
If you request a chargeback, we may need you to provide additional information. If we do ask you for additional information and you do not provide it within 10 days, then you may lose any rights to the chargeback and if it has already been processed, we may reverse it.
Please note that if we process a chargeback, the merchant may have rights under Visa Rules to have the Transaction investigated further, and this can in some circumstances result in the chargeback being reversed (which means the original Transaction might be reinstated by being debited to your Available Credit).
Each Single-Use Card is valid until the expiry date shown on it, unless it is cancelled before then. However, a Single-Use Card can only be used for a Transaction with a Participating Merchant within the Activation Period. If a Single-Use Card Transaction does not occur within the Activation Period, the Transaction may be declined.
11. Cancellation of a Single-Use Card
You may request a Single-Use Card to be cancelled during the Activation Period at any time.
We may cancel a Single-Use Card during the Activation Period at any time without giving you prior notice if:
- we reasonably believe that use of a Single-Use Card may cause loss to you or to us;
- we reasonably believe that cancellation of a Single-Use Card is required for security purposes;
- you breach any material term or condition of these Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions or the Zip Account Terms and Conditions; or
- we suspect that a Single-Use Card or your Zip Account has been used illegally or fraudulently.
We may also cease to allow you to use Single-Use Cards to transact on your Zip Account altogether without giving you prior notice in the above circumstances or if we decide to terminate our Single-Use Card program.
If we cancel a Single-Use Card during the Activation Period or cease to allow you to use Single-Use Cards to transact on your Zip Account in the above circumstances, we will give you notice as soon as reasonably practical afterwards.
12. Liabilities and disclaimers
Zip does not make or give any express or implied warranty or representation in connection with a Single-Use Card (including quality or standard or fitness for any purpose), other than as set out in these Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions and the Zip Account Terms and Conditions or when the warranty or representation is imposed or required by law and cannot be excluded.
Any failure or delay enforcing a term of these Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions or the Zip Account Terms and Conditions does not mean a waiver of them.
13. Changes to these Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions
These Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions are subject to change from time to time and are correct and current as at the date stated on the Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions. Information regarding your Zip Account may need to be updated from time to time. Any updated information on your Zip Account or these Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions will be made available on the Zip App, Zip Wallet, Zip Website or provided to you via email or other electronic communication (as we determine from time to time).
Subject to the law, we may vary the Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions at any time without your consent by providing at least 30 days’ notice in order to:
- Change the fees and charges;
- Change the amount, frequency or time for payment of any fee or charge;
- Impose a new fee or charge;
- Make any material change to the Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions:
We may impose, remove or adjust daily or periodic Transaction limits, and may vary the maximum Transaction amount, the maximum number of Transactions per day, or the maximum number of Single-Use Cards used per day, at our discretion.
If you are unhappy with the any of the changes to the Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions, you can:
- terminate your Zip Account by paying the outstanding balance, plus any accrued fees and charges; or
- cease to use Single-Use Cards to transact on your Zip Account.
We are not obliged to give you any advance notice if an immediate change to the Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions is deemed necessary for the security of individual Zip Accounts or as required by law.
If any provision in the Single-Use Card Terms and Conditions is illegal or unenforceable, it will be severed from these terms ad the remaining provisions will continue in full force and effect.