Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions
Current as at 12 October 2020
1.1 Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions
These Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions govern the use, operation and availability of the Virtual Card. Please read them carefully and keep a copy for your records.
The use of your Zip Pay Account continues to be subject to the Zip Pay Account Terms and Conditions together with these Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions.
1.2 Access method
The Virtual Card provides an additional Access Method to your Zip Pay Account and enables you to make Transactions using your Available Credit at Participating Merchants.
You may also continue to make Transactions using any other Access Method in accordance with the Zip Pay Terms and Conditions.
1.3 Electronic Acceptance
- acknowledge that you have read the Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions;
- acknowledge that the Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions are incorporated in, and form part of, the Zip Pay Account Terms and Conditions (which were provided to you at the point of acceptance of the Zip Pay Account);
- request that Zip issues you with the Virtual Card;
- you consent to receiving correspondence relating to the Virtual Card, these Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions, notices and other documents electronically.
By Zip issuing the Virtual Card to you, you accept our offer of the Virtual Card and agree to be bound by these Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions.
2. Virtual Card
Your Zip Pay Account must have Available Credit before the Virtual Card can be used.
The Virtual Card is not an account, does not hold deposits and does not store value.
A Transaction made with the Virtual Card will be displayed on the Statement using the applicable descriptor for the Participating Merchant. In the Zip App you can view your recent activity and it identifies Transactions made using the Virtual Card by stating the applicable descriptor of the Participating Merchant followed by the de-identified card number. For example, 'City Café Card number: 1111 XXXXXXXX 1111'. This will allow you to identify Transactions made using the Virtual Card and Transactions made using other Access Methods.
2.2 Using the Virtual Card
The Virtual Card allows you to purchase goods and services from Participating Merchants wherever Visa cards are accepted using Apple Pay or Google Pay.
The value of purchases made using the Virtual Card will be debited from the Available Credit in your Zip Pay Account. The Virtual Card can only be used for a Transaction that does not exceed the Available Credit.
A Participating Merchant may require you to enter a PIN when using the Virtual Card.
You agree not to make or attempt to make Transactions that exceed the Available Credit. If there is no Available Credit on your Zip Pay Account, any attempted Transaction using the Virtual Card may be declined. You will be liable for Transactions (even if they exceed the Available Credit).
Zip may restrict or stop the use of the Virtual Card if: (a) suspicious activities are noticed; (b) in accordance with section 2.13; or (c) if it is otherwise prohibited under the Zip Pay Account Terms and Conditions.
You acknowledge that you cannot “stop payment” on any Transaction after it has been completed. If you have a problem with a Virtual Card Transaction, or a dispute with a Participating Merchant, you must deal directly with the Participating Merchant involved. If you cannot resolve the dispute with the Participating Merchant, you should contact Zip and we will handle your dispute in accordance with our complaints management processes set out in the Zip Pay Account Terms and Conditions.
If you are entitled to a refund for any reason relating to a Virtual Card Transaction, you agree to accept the refund under the policy of that specific Participating Merchant. Refunds will be paid back into your Zip Pay Account only.
Unless required to do so by law, Zip does not accept any liability if a Participating Merchant refuses to accept the Virtual Card.
You must resolve any complaints about goods or services purchased with the Virtual Card with the Participating Merchant directly.
If you permit someone else to use the Virtual Card, you will be responsible for any Transactions initiated by that person with the Virtual Card.
2.3 Personal Identification Number (PIN)
You may be asked to provide a PIN when making a Virtual Card Transaction with a Participating Merchant. You can request or change a PIN for the Virtual Card by going to the Zip App and following the instructions.
You must keep your PIN secure and not disclose it to anyone.
If you become aware that your PIN may have been used without your authority, you must tell us immediately and not continue to use that PIN. We will cancel the PIN and you can request a new one by going to the Zip App and following the instructions.
2.4 Lock and Unlock Virtual Card
You can lock or unlock your Virtual Card by going to the ‘Card’ tab in the Zip App or contacting our customer service team.
You will still be responsible for meeting your Minimum Repayment Amount obligations even if your Virtual Card is locked.
We do not charge a fee for provisioning a Virtual Card to your Apple Pay or Google Pay wallet. However, you will continue to be liable for all fees described in the Zip Pay Account Terms and Conditions.
2.6 Foreign currency transactions
The Available Credit and payment currency of Virtual Card Transactions is in Australian dollars. Transactions made in a currency other than Australian dollars will be converted to Australian dollars by Visa using the applicable Visa rate on the date that the Virtual Card Transaction is debited to your account, plus a 1% foreign currency conversion fee (Fee) on the converted Australian dollar amount that is debited to your Zip Pay Account.
This Fee is determined by Visa in consideration of providing the foreign currency conversion service. You will assume the potential currency risk between the time of purchase until the Transaction has been received by Visa. Changes in the exchange rates take effect immediately. You can view online conversion rate calculators set by Visa on Visa’s website.
If you elect to use the Virtual Card to transact in a currency other than Australian dollars, you:
- acknowledge that the Fee is payable for the foreign currency conversion service;
- authorise us to debit the Fee to your Zip Pay Account; and
- acknowledge that the Fee will appear on your Zip Pay Account statement.
Participating Merchants may charge an additional fee for a Virtual Card Transaction. This fee is determined and charged by the Participating Merchant and is not retained by us.
2.7 Limitations on the use of the Virtual Card
The Virtual Card cannot be used:
- to make a cash advance Transaction, withdraw cash, or to receive a balance transfer from a credit card issued by another credit provider.
- as a payment method on a Zip Pay Account or a Zip Money Account.
- for a Transaction that exceeds your Available Credit.
- for the following Transactions:
- any illegal transactions;
- wire transfers;
- betting/casino gambling;
- any other Transactions reasonably determined by Zip from time to time; and
- any other transactions declined by Zip in accordance with the Zip Pay Account Terms and Conditions.
Some retailers may choose not to accept Visa cards and will therefore not accept the Virtual Card as payment for goods or services.
Only one Virtual Card can be provisioned and issued for each Zip Pay Account at any time.
Participating Merchants or other providers of facilities may impose additional transaction limits for Transactions.
You must keep the Virtual Card and any PIN safe and secure. The precautions we require you to take are set out below.
- when using the Virtual Card:
- always lock your Device;
- assign a Device Passcode to unlock your Device;
- remove any other registered Biometric Identifier which is not your own from your Device;
- ensure that any security details to access your Device or authorise a payment with your Device is not easily guessed;
- immediately report:
- the loss, theft or unauthorised use of your Device, or unauthorised use of the Virtual Card, to Zip; or
- suspected unauthorised disclosure of your PIN;
- examine your Zip Pay Account to identify and report, as soon as possible, any instances of unauthorised use; and
- keep information about the Virtual Card (including any PIN and CVC) private and never store or communicate the information to anyone.
You must not:
- allow anyone else to use the Virtual Card;
- disclose your PIN to anyone;
- lend your Device to anyone or share your Device Passcode with anyone;
- leave your Device unattended e.g. your phone unlocked at work; or
- store anyone else’s Biometric Identifier within your Device.
If you do, any Transactions initiated by a person with access to the Virtual Card or your Device will be authorised by you and section 2.10 (Liability for Unauthorised Transactions) will not apply.
2.9 Loss, Theft and Misuse of Devices
If you know or suspect that your Device is lost, stolen or damaged, or is likely to be misused, that there has been unauthorised use of the Virtual Card, you must immediately notify us. We may then cancel the Virtual Card to restrict its use.
You may be required to confirm details of the loss, theft or misuse in writing (and to provide particular information in the confirmation) and you must comply with that requirement.
2.10 Liability for Unauthorised Transactions
You are liable to us in respect of an Unauthorised Transaction when:
- you have failed to advise us of any suspected or unauthorised use of the Virtual Card; or
- you have provided information regarding your Virtual Card to someone whether knowingly or not; or
- you have committed fraud.
You are not liable to us in respect of an Unauthorised Transaction when:
- the Unauthorised Transaction occurred after you had advised us of suspected unauthorised use of the Virtual Card; or
- it is clear that you have not contributed to the loss; or
- it is determined by us, acting reasonably, that you were not directly or indirectly responsible for the relevant Unauthorised Transaction
- it was caused by the fraudulent or negligent conduct of employees or agents of:
- any organisation involved in the provision of the electronic funds transfer system; or
- any Participating Merchant.
If you are concerned about any suspect activity on your Zip Pay Account, please contact our customer service team immediately.
If you report an Unauthorised Transaction, we will not hold you liable for losses arising from the Unauthorised Transaction for an amount greater than your liability if we exercised any rights under the rules of the Visa Scheme, at the time of the report, against other parties to the Visa Scheme (for example, chargeback rights).
2.11 Important Information about Chargebacks
In some circumstances, you may be able to request a chargeback of a Transaction when you have a dispute with a Participating Merchant, such as the Participating Merchant’s failure to supply the goods or services you paid for.
A chargeback is a right under the Visa Rules by which a Transaction can effectively be reversed by us debiting an amount to the Participating Merchant’s financial institution and crediting back to your Available Credit in your Zip Pay Account. We can only process chargebacks if the Visa Rules allow us to.
If you believe that you are entitled to a chargeback, you must notify us as soon as possible.
The Visa Rules impose time limits for initiating chargebacks. The time limit is generally 120 days from the date of the disputed Transaction.
If you request a chargeback, we may need you to provide additional information. If we do ask you for additional information and you do not provide it within 10 days, then you may lose any rights to the chargeback and if it has already been processed, we may reverse it.
Please note that if we process a chargeback, the Participating Merchant may have rights under Visa Rules to have the Transaction investigated further, and this can in some circumstances result in the chargeback being reversed (which means the original Transaction might be reinstated by being debited to your Available Credit).
The Virtual Card is valid until the expiry date shown on it, unless it is cancelled before then.
2.13 Cancellation of the Virtual Card
You may ask us to cancel the Virtual Card at any time by calling us on (02) 8294 2345.
Cancelling the Virtual Card does not close your Zip Pay Account. You may ask us to close your Zip Pay Account by following the process in the Zip Pay Terms and Conditions.
We may cancel the Virtual Card at any time without giving you prior notice if:
- we reasonably believe that the use of the Virtual Card may cause loss to you or to us;
- we reasonably believe that cancellation of the Virtual Card is required for security purposes;
- we have blocked access to, suspended, or closed your Zip Pay Account;
- we are directed to do so by Visa, Apple or Google;
- you breach any material term or condition of these Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions or the Zip Pay Account Terms and Conditions;
- we suspect that the Virtual Card or your Zip Pay Account has been used illegally or fraudulently;
- we suspend or terminate our arrangements with Apple and/or Google;
- we terminate our Virtual Card program;
- where we have reasonable grounds to believe that there is a breach of the law of Australia or any other country or we are required to by a regulatory body; or
- in our reasonable opinion it is necessary.
Once the Virtual Card is cancelled:
- you must cancel any recurring transactions or other standing authorities that you have established using the Virtual Card. Until you cancel this authority, a Participating Merchant is entitled to request Zip to debit the Zip Pay Account and Zip is obliged to process this request. You remain responsible for any Transaction debited to the Zip Account in accordance with a recurring transaction or other standing authority until you cancel this authority.
- you must continue to comply with your repayment obligations under the Zip Pay Account Terms and Conditions; and
- we will give you notice of the cancellation as soon as reasonably practicable afterwards.
3. Apple Pay and Google Pay
Apple Pay is provided by Apple and Google Pay is provided by Google. In order to use your Virtual Card in connection with Apple Pay or Google Pay, you will be required to accept terms with either Apple or Google, respectively. These terms will govern your use of the Apple Pay or Google Pay service, including in relation to the collection of any information arising from your use of the Apple Pay or Google Pay services.
Zip's obligation to you in relation to your use of Apple Pay or Google Pay is limited to securely providing the Virtual Card details and associated information to Apple or Google in order for the Virtual Card to be provisioned to the Apple Pay or Google Pay wallet.
Zip is not responsible for, or liable in relation to, the availability or performance of Apple Pay or Google Pay, any Device or any failure by telecommunications or other network providers that affects your use of the Virtual Card.
Zip is not liable for any loss arising from your use of Apple Pay or Google Pay to the extent the loss was caused by your fraud, or your use of Apple Pay or Google Pay in a manner that breaches the relevant Apple and Google terms.
4. Liabilities and Disclaimers
Zip does not make or give any express or implied warranty or representation in connection with the Virtual Card (including quality or standard or fitness for any purpose), other than as set out in these Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions and the Zip Pay Terms and Conditions or when the warranty or representation is imposed or required by law and cannot be excluded.
Any failure or delay enforcing a term of these Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions or the Zip Pay Terms and Conditions does not mean a waiver of them.
5. Changes to the Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions
The Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions are subject to change from time to time and are correct and current as at the date stated.
Information regarding your Zip Pay Account or the Virtual Card may need to be updated from time to time. Any updated information on your Zip Pay Account or the Virtual Card will be made available on the Zip App, Zip Wallet, Zip Website or provided to you via email or other electronic communication (as we determine from time to time).
We may vary these Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions by providing you with at least 30 days’ notice of:
- any changes to the Fee, including the amount, frequency or time for payment;
- the introduction of a new fee or charge; or
- any material change to the Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions.
We may provide shorter notice, including on the date of the change taking effect, of:
- any changes that do not impact (or otherwise reduce) your obligations; or
- changes that are necessary to immediately protect the security of the Virtual Card, a Zip Pay Account, to avoid or minimise a material increase in our credit risk or to comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
We will provide you with notice on the Zip App, Zip Wallet, Zip Website or provided to you via email or other electronic communication (as we determine from time to time). We may impose, remove or adjust daily or periodic Transaction limits or the maximum number of Transactions you may make per day using the Virtual Card at our discretion.
If you are unhappy with the any of the changes to the Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions, you can:
- terminate your Zip Pay Account by paying the outstanding balance, plus any accrued fees and charges; or
- cancel the Virtual Card.
We are not obliged to give you any advance notice if an immediate change to the Tap & Zip Terms & Conditions is deemed reasonably necessary for the security of your Zip Pay Account or Virtual Card or as required by law.
If any provision in the Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions is illegal or unenforceable, it will be severed from these terms and the remaining provisions will continue in full force and effect.
Zip is the issuer of the Virtual Card. Zip can be contacted via:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (02) 8294 2345
Access Method means: a) a method made available by us for you, and authorised and accepted by us, to act on an instruction or request to debit or credit your Zip Pay Account; and b) comprises the use of one or more components (including but not limited to) password, PIN, e- signature, token, barcode or SMS code.
Apple means Apple Pty Limited ABN 46 002 510 054 and/or its related bodies corporate and affiliates.
Apple Pay means the mobile payment and digital wallet service created by Apple that lets users transact using certain Devices.
Available Credit means the credit in your Zip Pay Account which is available for Transactions, less any purchases, authorisations, fees and charges or other amounts debited under the Contract (including other amounts authorised but not yet posted to your Zip Pay Account).
Biometric Identifier means a fingerprint, faceprint or any other similar biometric identifier.
Contract means the Contract between you and Zip comprising the Zip Pay Terms and Conditions (and any applicable schedule) and these Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions (and any other contract entered into between you and Zip).
Device means a smartphone, tablet or wearable device using an Apple or Android operating system and that Zip determines is eligible for the provisioning of a Virtual Card to be used through Apple Pay or Google Pay. Device Passcode means anything used to unlock and access a Device including, but not limited to, a password, numerical code, pattern or Biometric Identifier.
Google means Google LLC and/or its related bodies corporate and affiliates (including Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd ABN 54 341 015 381).
Google Pay means the mobile payment and digital wallet service created by Google that lets users make payments using certain Devices.
Participating Merchants means in-store and online retailers and suppliers of goods or services who accept the Virtual Card as a method of payment for the goods or services.
PIN means personal identification number, being a set of numbers that you use with the Virtual Card to make a Transaction.
Statement means a statement of account issued by us in respect of your Zip Pay Account.
Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions means this document.
Transaction means any transaction authorised by you and accepted and authorised by us under the Contract.
Unauthorised Transaction means a transaction not authorised by you but does not include any transaction carried out by you or by anyone performing the transaction with your knowledge and consent.
Virtual Card means a virtual Visa credit card provisioned to your Apple Pay or Google Pay wallet that can be used for Transactions on your Zip Pay Account with a Participating Merchant.
Visa means Visa Worldwide Pte. Limited.
Visa Rules means all documents, rules and other applicable requirements for participation in the Visa system.
we, us, our and Zip means Zip Money Payments Pty Ltd ABN 58 164 440 993, Australian Credit Licence 441878.
you means a person who has been approved by Zip to open a Zip Pay Account and has been issued with the Virtual Card. Any other grammatical form of the word “you” has a corresponding meaning.
Zip App means the mobile application we make available to use your Zip Pay Account.
Zip Pay Account means the account Zip set up to record Transactions under the Zip Pay Terms and Conditions.
Zip Pay Account Terms and Conditions means the Zip Pay terms and conditions and Zip Pay Schedule issued and administered by Zip and under which the Zip Pay Account is set up.
Zip Wallet means a secure online service where Zip customers may log in to access their Zip Pay Account to obtain current or historical Account information, Transaction information, or provide Zip with new personal information, or change banking and repayment details.
Zip Website means www.zip.co or any other website operated by Zip.
Capitalised terms in these Tap & Zip Terms and Conditions that are undefined take their meaning from the Zip Pay Terms and Conditions.
Apple and Apple Pay are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Google and Google Pay are trademarks of Google Inc.
VISA is a trademark owned by Visa International Service Association and used under license.