What’s the Deal with Paying Later In Store?
With the amount of time we spend online these days, there’s a certain anxiety that comes with old-school interactions.
With the amount of time we spend online these days, there’s a certain anxiety that comes with old-school interactions. Phone calls over text? Are you crazy? A visit to the DMV? Please, no.
But schlepping to the store and making small talk with the cashier instead of getting that delivery shipped? Well, sometimes an IRL visit to the grocery store, mall, or bulk retailer can’t be avoided.
So here’s your simple guide to checking out in store with Zip like a pro. Keep it handy and you’ll never sweat the pay later checkout process again.
A refresher on Buy Now, Pay Later basics
Let’s take a quick step back. Do you already know and love the concept of Buy Now, Pay Later? Great! You can skip ahead to the next section, which covers the in-store bit.
If not, welcome to the wonderful world of Zip! In a nutshell, Zip is an alternative to credit that allows shoppers to pay for any purchase in four installments over six weeks. And there are no hidden fees to use the service—just a $1 charge per installment for purchases made with the app.
Zip is an extremely accessible option for today’s consumer, with an instant approval process and no hard credit check required. Many shoppers opt to link a debit card to their account, which extends their buying power in the short term without the catches of a high-interest credit card.
Level up: how to use Zip in store
If you’re already a pay-later aficionado, you probably feel pretty comfortable checking out with the app online. But if you’ve never done it before, getting your app out and paying in store might feel like a higher stakes proposition. After all, hell hath no fury like the disgruntled person behind you in a long checkout line.
We’re here to help you understand exactly what to expect, so you can banish any anxiety and check out faster than you can say “paper or plastic.” These are the steps you’ll need to follow to successfully complete your in-store purchase with Zip. Spoiler: it’s just as fast as checking out with the debit card in your wallet.
1. Open your Zip app and select the “In Store” tab located above your available balance.
2. Enter your total purchase amount. Request enough funds from your available balance to cover the amount of the order plus taxes, then click “Continue.”
3. Your estimated installment amounts and payment due dates will be displayed. Review your installment payment plan and click “Continue” to create a Zip virtual card.
4. Simply pay for your purchase using the virtual card that has been generated. You can either share the card information with the cashier manually, or tap “Pay with Apple Pay” (on iPhone) or “Pay with Google Pay” (on Android) to add the Zip virtual card as your payment method. Hold the phone above the reader to complete your order.
5. For each future purchase, you will need to generate a new Zip virtual card by following the steps outlined above. The unique virtual card generated for this transaction can not be used more than once.
Embrace the possibilities of Buy Now, Pay Later
Ready to take the plunge? Here’s a quick video to get you excited about using Zip IRL, anywhere.
From the salon to the bookstore, to that trendy boutique with the window display you’ve been eyeing, the possibilities of paying later are endless.
So if you haven’t already, download the Zip app to check out the better way to pay and start splitting your payments in 4 anywhere you shop.
Get started with Zip today
Zip’s editorial content is not written by a financial advisor. It’s intended for informational purposes and should not be considered legal or financial advice. Consult a professional to learn what financial products are right for you.
CA resident loans made or arranged pursuant to a California Finance Lenders Law license.
A $500 purchase might cost $126/payment over 4 payments with a 13.88% APR* for a total payment of $504. *The annual percentage rate is based on creditworthiness and is subject to credit approval. A $4 origination fee is charged at commencement—you pay $1.00 of this fee as a prepaid finance charge when you make your initial payment today. The remaining $3.00 is included in your future payments. This results in, for example, 4 equal periodic payments of $126 per $500 borrowed for a rate of 13.88% APR. Minimum purchase of $35 required. Estimation of installment payment and annual percentage rate excludes potential tax and shipping costs. Zip Pay Anywhere financing through Zip issued by WebBank, member FDIC and subject to credit approval.